Thursday, November 6, 2008

Why I can't seem to get excited about it...

Barack Obama is our new president. It's monumental, and it's encouraging...right?

But as much as this election was supposed to represent change, some things remain very much the same.

As many of you know, I'm an avid reader of Pams House Blend, and the major topic these past few days has been the three same-sex marriage amendments. It is disheartening that they were voted on the way they were. There's a lot of blame being passed around as well, which is equally frustrating. The bottom line is, no matter what sectors voted more strongly against LGBT rights, the majority of people where it was in question did so.

When I think about how much I've cared for the two women whom I have loved dearly enough to allow thoughts of that sort of commitment to cross my mind, when I think about how my grandmother can be accepting of who I am and who I love, when I think about how most people dont vote against gay rights if they have a gay family member, friend, or neighbor; it becomes so hard for me to fathom what would make someone actively vote against it.

And the only thing I've stumbled upon is fear.
And that is cowardly.

I'm sorry if this post is less polished than ususal, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. Everyone seems so excited and optimistic, and I feel stained by a disappointment that's not being discussed.

Dont get me wrong, I am grateful that Obama won, of course. But I just can't seem to get into it :-/

No comments: