Thursday, September 18, 2008

Why do straight men need my validation?

I've been picking up on a trend. Men ask me what I think of the woman their interested in-- it's becoming a frequent occurance. The implication being that they're asking because I'm a gay.
Take this interaction:
While waiting in line for Pure, the guy behind me says "she's hot, right?" - talking about one of the girls he has arrived with. I say, somewhat dismissively, "yea, sure." He asks again "don't you think she's hot?" and I reply that she is, indeed, "hot". His response-- a big reveal: "That's my wife!"
Okay, way to go buddy. Do you want a cookie?
Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe I'm not around guys enough to know that this is actually the way they talk to each other, and approval is more important than whether guy-in-question is attracted to girl-in-question. Maybe the guy in line just wanted me to join them for a threesome (because, isn't that every lesbian's ultimate goal? to have sex with straight couples? I know it's mine...).
It just seems strange to me. Although maybe it's a sign that the lesbian perspective is becoming more respected, and I should be happy. Thoughts?

No comments: